Wall sconces for hotels, luxury guest rooms, and modern living (H1)
Wall sconce lighting has been in use for centuries as a source of both indoor and outdoor lighting. Wall sconces today incorporate modern, elegant designs to provide energy-efficient lighting while achieving unique design goals.
Tips on how to effectively use luxury wall sconces in your design plan (H2)
Wall sconces can provide visual comfort to any room; their adaptability is what makes them so versatile. Wall sconces are also different from the norm as they are wall-mounted and therefore take up less space on the floor than traditional floor lamps and less visual space than pendants or chandeliers on the ceiling.
Here are a few tips to help you decide how to incorporate wall sconces into your design:
- Wall sconces help control the mood
We constantly speak about layering light. This is to say that one lighting fixture does not light an entire space. Wall sconces are part of the layering of light. They can provide a decorative glow only, or they can provide enough up-light, so the space is lit evenly with soft, indirect, ambient light. Wall sconces can also provide downlight or some of both. A wall sconce might even be a task light. Other times, it may be recessed in a wall to provide a mysterious way-light, or in the case of the Boyd Elements Water In-Wall light, it provides a brief art piece; a place to dally and reflect.
- Use wall sconces to provide ambient illumination
Wall sconces can be used to provide general, ambient illumination often by casting light upwards onto light-colored walls or ceilings, and then let the effective light rain down into the space. It is efficient to use this technique in white or lighter colored spaces but is not efficient in a darker room, because the dark color will absorb light. See: Sciencing Which Colors Reflect More Light? for more information on this concept.
- Wall sconces save valuable space
Lighting residential and commercial spaces requires thoughtful design. Often wall sconces, wall brackets and in-wall (recessed) lighting supports this professional, thoughtful design. This can also be true for modern office buildings, hotels, clubs, as well as residences. Floor-based lamps take up space that could be used for other purposes – wall sconces optimize the usage of space because they are placed higher up on walls freeing up space around and below it. Boyd Lighting’s low-profile wall sconces make an impactful design statement while providing high-quality lighting and making efficient use of space. This is particularly valuable in narrow hallways and passageways. In addition, Boyd has larger profile wall sconces for use in commercial or residential spaces including condominiums. It’s important for apartments and condos with views to keep the ceiling free from large, bulky fixtures to preserve that view. Wall sconces can help layer the light to preserve the desirable views.
- Wall sconces as accent lighting
Wall sconces can provide the perfect lighting for focal features that you want to highlight. It is important to consider the number and placement of accent lights so that your design meets your symmetrical or asymmetrical approach.
- Wall sconces are available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and finishes
Wall sconces come in a wide variety of designs from modern to traditional. For aesthetic and lighting purposes, the right wall sconce needs to be proportional to the space you are wanting to incorporate it into.
Benefits of designing with wall sconces (H2)
- Wall sconces help to set the mood in a room. This type of lighting can be used to enhance a feeling of relaxation in a bedroom, to illuminate feature pieces, or to revive the energy of a room through the use of brightness, color temperature, and stylish fixtures.
- Energy-efficient LED wall sconces are a great choice to save on electricity costs.
- Uplighting wall sconces are an excellent choice for ambient lighting in large rooms, while downlighting wall sconces provide elegant task lighting features, semi-direct wall sconces can provide a soft, ambient glow.
- Wall sconces are available in a wide variety of styles and finishes to suit many themes and designs.
Where walls sconces work best in hotels (H2)
With the wide variety of rooms that make up a hotel setting, the lighting design should also include an interesting variety of fixtures. From lobbies to hallways and bathrooms, conference rooms to offices, wall sconces can be placed in these areas as the perfect light source to suit the applicable theme. Unique designs, altering scale of fixtures, adding rich materials like brass or bronze and placement of fixtures or even the incorporation of architectural lighting, differentiates one hotel flag, or brand from another, from a Four Star to a Five Star hotel and beyond.
Favorite styles to choose from (H2)
Boyd Lighting has a large selection of wall sconces to choose from:
The Branch Sconce
The Branch Sconce – sleekly designed and inspired by nature, the Branch Sconce can illuminate any space with its multi-directional arm movement, ideal for task lighting for a bedroom or reading area. This design is particularly valuable in a bedroom when space is at a premium or end tables are not used. Designed by Doyle Crosby.
The Pueblo Sconce
The Pueblo Sconce – a non-dimming wall sconce designed to provide a soft-glow of 2700K LED light emanating through the playful folds of the hand-finished bronze. Designed by Dierdre Jordan, forming part of a trio of sconces: The Folded Series.
The Taos Sconce
The Taos Sconce – a wall sconce with similar ambiance enhancing features as the Pueblo Sconce, is also part of The Folded Series. With its white finish, it lends beautiful simplicity to the space surrounding it and reflects slightly more lumens than the bronze.
The Scorpio Sconce Interior or Exterior
The Scorpio Sconce Interior or Exterior – featured in Roger Thomas’ final hotel project in Boston, this wall sconce was custom-designed for this project. The LED’s are encased in the sleek, square arm and casts a beautiful puddle of light onto the curved hand-cast brass backplate yielding a brilliantly rendered version of a mysterious, light sculpture.
The Obi Sconce
The Obi Sconce light provides the ultimate focal point for any room. A cylindrical cased white glass diffuser with an edgy, criss-cross design element gives this lighting feature a contemporary feel for larger spaces.
The Plateau Square Sconce Exterior
The Plateau Square Sconce Exterior – appears to be a three dimensional metallic fold of metal and light conjoining on a wall to provide glare-free way-lighting.
Icicle Drop Sconce – Triple
From Chicago architect Tom Nahabedian, the Icicle Triple Sconce is a natural progression from the original Icicle Drop Sconce, while providing more volume and lumen output. Available in six metal finish options, seven cord color options, and either clear or etched glass drops, it is abundantly flexible.
Icicle Drop Sconce – Single
From Chicago architect Tom Nahabedian, the Icicle Drop Sconce makes a subtle yet sexy statement providing a glowing, ambient light. Available in six metal finish options, seven cord color options, and either clear or etched glass drop to match a multitude of interior schemes.
Wall lighting ideas for luxury homes and guest rooms (H2)
- Clean design lines – wall sconces are a great addition to guest rooms to make them feel more warm and cozy. Better than floor lamps with loose cords that may make the room look unkempt, wall sconces situated next to a couch or fireplace can create that cozy feel without adding unnecessary clutter to the room.
- Cohesive design theme – by coordinating the lighting design with the furniture and the decor, you can create a seamless look that is aesthetically appealing.
- That luxurious touch – wall sconces with a bronze or gold finish can make a room feel more elegant. By contrast, wall sconces with a black finish can give a room a more formal appearance.
- Create a more modern look – wall sconces that have uplighting and downlighting features and geometric, asymmetrical patterns can modernize a room.
- Decorative lights – decorative wall sconces add character to a room and can be used as an accent feature to complement the theme of a room.
- Create a look that flows – when designing a space with wall sconces and other lighting fixtures it is a good idea to select fixtures from within the same collection or in the same design style for cohesiveness and consistency.
Wall sconce materials and finishes (H2)
The materials and finishes of a wall sconce are very important. They are meant to be consistent with other metals and finishes within the given space. Boyd Lighting has a multitude of wall sconce finishes available that are designed to suit many different design plans.
Depending on the style of the wall sconce you decide to choose, Boyd wall sconces are available in different variations of brass such as antiqued Boyd brass and blackened brass as well as a variety of stylish colors such as matte and gloss white, coffee bean, satin stainless steel and silver fog.
For the Icicle Drop Sconce that features a hanging cord from which the icicle drop is suspended, there are a variety of cord color options available such as charcoal, dark olive, black, silver, navy and tan.
Other metal finishes include satin brass and satin nickel as well as more opulent finishes such as 12k White Gold leaf, 22k Yellow Gold leaf and black granite depending on the lighting fixture.
How to choose the best wall sconces (H2)
- Consider the existing décor when choosing the appropriate wall sconce for a space. The right design should flow with and enhance the colors, style, and textures of the décor.
- Consider its functionality – wall sconces are typically used for ambient, direct, semi-direct, indirect, or accent lighting and can sometimes serve as task lighting. When choosing sconce lights, first consider the functionality, and then select the styling.
Why Boyd Lighting for artisan wall sconces? (H2)
We design and manufacture unique wall sconces by Boyd and other professional designers to suit many spaces and design themes. We have an extensive range of artisanal-made wall sconces which are unique, energy-efficient, flexible, beautiful and easy to incorporate into many design styles. Contact your architectural design representative or us today for more information. You will be glad you did!
Social media post – Facebook:
Wall sconces incorporate modern, elegant designs to provide energy-efficient lighting while achieving unique design goals.
If you want to brighten up a space and create ambiance in your design plan, the elegant wall sconce could be the lighting fixture you have been searching for.